1. Heat the milk, sugar and honey in a saucepan, stir until the sugar dissolves. Bring it just to the boil, then remove from the heat and set aside until tepid.
2. Sift the flour into a bowl and make a well in the center. Add three quarters of the cooled honey mixture and stir with a wooden spoon, gradually drawing in the flour to make a smooth batter.
3. In a small bowl, mix the candied peel, spices and salt. Stir in the remaining honey mixture and add it to the batter, stir until smooth. Cover and refrigerate the batter for 8-12 hours. Let the batter return to room temperature before baking.
4. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F/120 C.
5. Butter the loaf pan (medium pan - 20x8x8 cm), you can also line it with wax paper or parchment paper, and butter the paper.
6. To complete the batter, mix the egg yolk and baking soda with the water in a small bowl. Stir this mixture very well into the batter.
7. Spoon the batter into the loaf pan, filling it half full. With the back of a spoon, form a shallow depression down the center of the loaf. This will compensate for the rise of the center during baking. Cover loosely with foil.
8. Bake for 30 minutes, then remove the foil. Continue baking for approx 1 to 1 1/2 hours more, or until a skewer inserted near the center comes out clean.
9. Let the bread cool, turn it out on to a rack, removing the paper.