Ingredients for 4 servings:
- 4 large veal scallops,
- 2 tablespoons oil,
- 200 g (1/2 lb) mushrooms,
- 4 slices of smoked cured ham,
- 150 g (5 oz) grated Comté cheese,
- 20 cl (7 oz) heavy cream,
- salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Slice the mushrooms and saute in a pan with a little oil. Set them aside.
3. Season the veal cutlets with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, brown the meat in hot oil for 10 minutes on each side. Transfer them to an oven dish and cover each cutlet with a slice of ham and a little grated cheese.
4. In the same pan, add the cream and cooked mushrooms. Deglaze and cook for about 2 minutes. Check the seasoning.
5. Pour the sauce over the meat, and sprinkle the rest of the comte cheese.
6. Brown in oven 10-15 minutes.
Wine Pairing Tips:
This deliciously rich and creamy veal dish requires a wine with a little more body, as well as some oak aging which imparts toasty, buttery notes to a high-end Chardonnay for example. These will match the mushroom and smoky ham flavors in the sauce. Don't hesitate to try a light red however, such as a fruity Poulsard from Pupillin!