Ingredients for 6 servings:
- 1 rooster from 1,5 to 2 kg (3 to 4 pounds),
- 150g (3/4 cup) butter,
- 300 g (10 oz) fresh morels,
- 50 g (1/3 cup) flour,
- 30 cl (1 cup 1/4) "Vin Jaune" (yellow wine),
- 75 cl (3 cups) heavy cream,
- salt and pepper
1. Cut the rooster into pieces and rub them with salt, pepper and flour.
2. Brown lightly on each side, cover and place in a warm oven for 20 minutes.
3. Remove from the oven, set aside the pieces of rooster, add the "vin jaune" to the pan juices.
4. Return the rooster pieces to the pan and add the well cleaned mushrooms and the cream.
5. Cook slowly uncovered until the reduced sauce is shiny (minimum 30 minutes).
Wine Pairing Tips:
As a general rule, one should serve a wine which is featured in a recipe to accompany the dish. This is particularly true with Vin Jaune, whose strong character clearly expresses itself in the Jura's local variant of the classic Coq au Vin. The presence of morel in the sauce further reinforces this choice, as Vin Jaune is a perfect match for the intensely flavored mushroom. Château-Chalon is the obvious choice, but an Arbois "Jaune" or even a simple Savagnin made in the traditional style will also work wonders with this staple of Jura gastronomy.