Ingredients for 5 servings:
- 45 g (3 tablespoons) unsalted butter,
- 50 g (1/3 cup) all purpose flour,
- 250 ml (1 cup) milk,
- 45 g (4 tablespoons) fine sugar,
- 3 eggs at room temperature,
- 1 vanilla pod,
- 50 ml (3 tablespoons) kirsch,
- Confectioners sugar for dusting.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 C). Butter the bottom and side of a souffle dish. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon superfine sugar, turn the dish around to coat the entire inside surface and then pour out any excess of sugar.
2. Combine in a saucepan the milk, sugar and vanilla and bring to a boil, then remove from heat.
3. Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, add the flour and cook, stirring until just golden. Pour in the milk gradually, stirring vigorously until smooth. Bring to boil then remove from heat and wait for 5 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, combine the egg whites and salt in a greasefree bowl and beat until stiff and glossy.
5. Add the egg yolks to the milk mixture and the kirsch. Then, gently fold the beaten egg whites little by little with a rubber spatula.
6. Spoon the mixture into the souffle dish (no more than 3/4 of the dish) and smooth the surface. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the souffle has risen and wobbles slightly in its center when tapped. Never open the oven door while baking.
7. Dust with confectioners sugar and serve immediately.
Wine Pairing Tips: Gewurztraminer is the recommended wine.