Ingredients for 4 servings:
- 1 pound red cabbage,
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and coarsely chopped,
- 10 chestnuts,
- 1 onion, thinly sliced,
- 1 garlic clove, chopped,
- 1 tablespoon vinegar,
- pinch of sugar,
- cumin, salt and pepper,
- 20 cl (1/4 cup) red wine,
1. Core and thinly slice the red cabbage, wash and spine it dry.
2. Fry the onions and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the cabbage and cook until it is softened slightly. Add a pinch of sugar, cumin, salt, pepper, vinegar, wine, apples and the chestnuts. Lower the heat, cover and simmer 30 to 45 minutes.
3. Remove the lid, bring to a boil and cook for an additional 5 minutes, until the sauce is reduced and thickened.
4. This side dish can be served with meat or game.
Tip: Riesling is the recommended wine
Wine Pairing Tips:
Because this dish is usually served as an accompaniment to hearty red meats, one should prepare a red Pinot Noir wine for this typical autumn meal. With a few years of bottle age, tertiary mushroom and earthy aromas will also appear in the wine, enhancing the chestnuts flavors in the cabbage.